President: Mike Lane
Vice President: Tony Trevenen
Treasurer: John Vincent
Captain: Barry Ross
Women's Captain: Pauline Ruoss
Vice Captain: Darren Michael
Director of Golf: Ian Redmond
(Aust PGA Member)
Golf Shop Co-ordinator: Dan Northcott
Bar Manager: Hayley Carroll
Function Co-ordinator: Davida Carroll
Reception and Accounts: Davida Carroll
Golf Course Superintendent: Jason Fleming
Second in Charge: Ryan Western
Groundsman: Geoff Edwards
Maintenance Mechanic: Dave Reynolds
Greenkeeper: Evan Martin
Proudly sponsored by
Bathroom Decor and Tiles
Members, be at the Club on Friday nights and you are in with a chance to take home the cash!!!
Jackpot $340 this week
Be at the Club Friday nights to be in the running
The 118th Annual General Meeting of the Albany Golf Club was held on Tuesday 9th May at 7.00pm in the Clubrooms.
The Half Yearly General meeting of the Albany Golf Club will be held on Tuesday 14th November 2017 at 7pm.
Please click on the button for a link to the Half Yearly Reports.
Good Sports are Australia's largest health initiative in community sport. They work with clubs at every level to set them up for success to create a healthier club environment.
There is a three-step accreditation program, a simple game plan for improving the wellbeing of the club. Albany Golf Club has Level 2 Accreditation.
As part of our accreditation process, the Club has developed and adopted policy regarding Alcohol Management, Safe Transport and Smoke Free facility. Click on the buttons below to view and download the policy documents.
image above: the Golf Club's future location painted in 1824 by Louis de Sainson
image above: the Golf Club's future location painted in 1824 by Louis de Sainson
Albany Golf Course is an eighteen-hole links style golf course, established in 1898 with nine holes and enlarged in the 1960s.
As the chief port in Western Australia until the end of the 19th century, Albany received almost 30,000 visitors a year at the peak of the gold boom. It was also a popular holiday venue in the hot summer. As the town prospered, interest turned to sport and recreation. An English golfer visiting Albany suggested the land at Middleton Beach, beside Lake Seppings, as ideal for a nine-hole "links" course, as the best golf courses were those on traditional links on seaside land.
The idea of a golf links at Middleton Beach was made public by the Albany Advertiser, whose editor, W.F. Forster, was a proponent of the game. Other promoters of a golf links were also leading citizens, among them resident medical officer Dr Thomas Robinson and businessmen Charles Russell and F.W. Strother. They formed a Committee with the idea to have the government grant a suitable piece of land and in return the committee would develop a course that would attract visitors to the town.
Costs involved in the establishment of the course included: clearing at just under £57; supply of turf for the greens at 10 shillings per 100 feet; and, making and lining the holes and erecting flags at £2. A mowing machine and iron roller was a major expense at £16.
By the end of 1899, players were practising on the course but not playing into the holes in order to give the greens turf time to establish. There was some problem with balls bouncing off tree stumps left during the clearing work, but this was considered relatively minor.
An early issue for golfers on the course was straying cattle. The milk cows of Albany residents were taken each day to graze on the flats below Middleton Road and often wandered onto the open fairways. This was eventually resolved when the Road Board could afford to fence the grazing area. During 1900, the club shed was erected by contractors Josiah Norman & Sons. It was located halfway along the course, near Golf Links Road (formerly Moir Road ) on the west side.
At the annual meeting of the Club on 3 April 1912, the president suggested that as Albany shops, guest houses and hotels were doing well out of the visitors the Club attracted to the town, some financial support from them might be forthcoming. Three donations of £50, £10 and an undisclosed amount were received as a result. Annual golfing tournaments were introduced, leading to the establishment of the Wittenoom Cup, Albany Open and Albany Classic.
The installation of a water supply in the early 1920s cost £250, with most of the funds being donated by members. The water was used to irrigate the greens and the tees. A full-time green keeper, nurseryman Bob Jarvis, was employed in 1920 and the course quickly reflected his care and skill. He remained in the position for many years. By 1922, the improvements had brought praise from past and current Australian golfing stars and increased the number of visitors to the course.
To ease the congestion, it was proposed to extend the course to 18 holes by adding three new holes at a time, beginning with the area immediately west of Golf Links Road . The Club requested a lease of more land from the Lake Seppings Reserve, but local residents lodged a petition on the grounds the land was granted for parks and gardens.
The extension of the course onto the newly leased area did not occur immediately for reasons unknown, but in 1927 Cottesloe Golf Club professional David Anderson, a Scot who had played links courses in Britain, drafted plans for an extension of Albany Golf Course to 18 holes, with the following comment.
“I am of the opinion that the residents of Albany do not know how fortunate they are in possessing land absolutely of the finest golfing country, and it is with pleasure and without hesitation that I say I have never seen better golfing territory outside a few links in the Old Country. The contour of your land is the nearest approach to Prestwick, Scotland (recognised as one of the three best golf links in the British Isles) that it could be possible to come across. The possibilities of Albany with this excellent contour and ideal climate must be unique as far as Australia is concerned.”
In March 1956 a Course Planning Committee was appointed and in May 1957 it was decided to establish the 18-hole course with an immediate start on earthworks, clearing and pasturing. Funds were short, as usual, but a farmer donated the use of a bulldozer and another donated clover seed to hold the drifting sand on the seaside holes. Kikuyu grass was introduced and fertilised with residue from the Albany sewerage farm prompting the comment that ‘the stench was horrific... but the grass shot up’.
On 25 May 1963, Club patron and former president C.H. Wittenoom officially opened the extended 18-hole Albany Golf Course, followed by an evening party with buffet tea and dancing. The new course included three holes on the west side of Golf Links Road as well as the northern extension. The entire site of Albany Golf Course was re-gazetted as Reserve 27629 for ‘recreation golf links’, vested in the Town of Albany and leased for 21 years to the Club.
Having a road through the course presented real problems with stray balls hitting cars. When a ball bounced off a police car it was time to find a solution. This came in the form of realigning the road to run on the west boundary of the course, closer to Lake Seppings.
Lake Seppings was a significant coastal wetland and together with Albany Golf Course with its largely indigenous flora and lack of development, provided a popular habitat for coastal bird life. Albany Golf Course acted as a corridor between the Lake and the sea and was attractive to walkers and birdwatchers as well as golfers. This bird life habitat and greened space became more important as Albany continued to grow and residential development extended along the coast.
The development of the resort Clubhouse went ahead in the late 1990s, and the new building was opened in 2000. As well as providing top-class facilities for members, the new Clubhouse is a venue for dinners, conferences, meetings and private functions and is fully booked for much of the year.The driving range, situated northeast of the car park, between Barry Court and Griffiths Street, was developed at the same time as the new Clubhouse.
The resiting of the Clubhouse to the opposite end of Albany Golf Course necessitated a change in the order of the holes to accommodate starting and finishing at the northern end. Another result of that change has been that instead of starting each nine-hole end with the southwest wind behind, the golfers now start their game playing into the wind, which has had some initial adverse effects
on handicaps. Regardless of changes in the course and the advances in the technology associated with the game, professional golfers continue to have a high regard for the course owing to the undulating landscape and the coastal winds.
Proof of this can be seen in the club record which was set in 1967 by West Australian champion golfer Graham Marsh with a round of 65 – 7 under par – and which has not been bettered since. Another professional golfer, Craig Parry, has been often quoted as saying …
“Albany is my favourite Australian golf course. It’s a great course by the ocean, which plays hard and is never the same”.
For a more comprehensive history download our PDF by clicking on the button below:
The Albany Golf Club's Mission and Vision is one of those historical documents that continues to serve its members. To read about our Mission and Vision click on the link on the right:
Have your own copy of the Woolly Bush Newsletter without costing any trees. Just click on the link below. Making the Woolly Bush available online is another way that the Albany Golf Club is demonstrating its commitment to the environment.
Click the button to download the
November/December/January 2017-18 issue..
GolfWA's winter edition of the ezine is the go to source on current events in Western Australian golf.
Join the Golf Australia Family newsletter and stay in the know
Golf Australia is keen to keep golfers informed about what is happening in golf in this country. From handicapping modifications, Australian
Opens, rules, programs and golf news, the Golf Australia Family newsletter will keep you up to speed. Simply click on the link below to sign up and you will go into the draw to win a $500 Drummond Golf voucher.
To view an example of the Golf Australia Family newsletter click on this link:
Held towards the end of January each year, The Wittenoom Cup Carnival, is a sensational 10 days of golf and arguably the State's largest and most successful mixed handicap carnival of the year. There are a variety of events and social functions throughout the Carnival. Participants don't necessarily play in all events, many golfers and their families make this time of year "holiday time" and enjoy all the delights that Albany and The Great Southern can provide.
In 1927, Charles Horne Wittenoom donated a handsome silver cup which carried his name, as the trophy of a yearly tournament. He also set the conditions of the competition, a Stroke handicap event to be played over 36 holes. Those conditions continue to this day. The Wittenoom Cup is played on the last weekend of the Carnival, 18 holes each day.
Since 2003, The Brenda Wittenoom Open, a competition for women golfers, has been held in conjunction with the Wittenoom Cup event. Brenda Wittenoom is the daughter-in-law of Charles.
Albany members look forward to catching up with those who have played at the Carnival over many years and to meeting those who are coming for the first time.
See "Wittenoom Cup" page for the lastest info on Wittenoom Cup Events.
The 2016 Wittenoom Cup Carnival dates are..... Saturday 15th January to Sunday 24th January
Please see the fixtures calendar for event schedule... entry forms will be available from November 1st 2015.
Held over the long weekend at the beginning of March each year, the Albany Classic is one of the few regional qualifying events for the Golf WA prestigious Paxton Averages competition. The Classic is a 36 hole gross event played over 2 days with all players required to play one morning round and one afternoon round. There is also significant prizes for the net winners and placegetters. The 2016 Classic will also include an event for women.
Albany Golf Club has a tradition of caring. We care about our water use. We care about the bird life that share the course with us. We care about the damselflies, the long-neck tortoises and the snakes. We care about the chemicals that we use.
What can we do about water use? There are three key concerns: the sustainable use of water that we draw from Lake Seppings, the make-up of plant species that are featured on the links and the selective watering of the links to ensure player amenity while conserving precious water.
Looking ahead, we will soon be trialing cutting-edge water sensors and water supply controllers. Given that the sensors are expensive part of the testing involves automated tracking of their location so that if a sensor moves an alert will be sent to a group of mobile phones.
Shown here is the equipment that we'll be trialing:
When Ian Redmond is not working at the Golf Club he is photographing local birds. If you are a member of the club you may have seen Ian's canvas prints. We'd be delighted if you would support the ongoing cataloging of the bird species by buying some art to hang in your workplace or home, and by letting us know what unusual birds you may have seen during your round of golf. The bird gallery is a project in its infancy, but we intend to grow this resource not only for our members, but for all bird watchers.
Birds don't only eat nectar and seeds - they also come if for the insects. This is one of the reasons that the AGC is sparing in its use of pesticides. We feel that nature knows best, and besides, some insects can be quite pretty.
Long-neck tortoises cross the fairways from the breeding grounds at the beach to their usual home at Lake Seppings.
The tortoises are not the only reptiles on the fairways, though, and in summer particular care must be taken to avoid snakes. We strongly advise that you do not follow balls into long grass. The results could be very unfortunate.
Have you wondered what is happening in and around the old clubhouse site?
This work is part of a bigger plan put together by Chris Gunby (Environmental Planning and Water Resource Management) to control the environmental impact on Lake Seppings. Please click on the button below to download the full December 2016 report.
Stocked with the very latest equipment, along with clothing, accessories and AGC logo items including balls, hats and shirts, The Golf Shop is open 7 days a week providing outstanding service to both members and visitors. The professional staff are always available for advice and to provide competitive quotes. Gift vouchers can be purchased which can be used for lessons or merchandise. There is also a fully equipped Club Repair workshop for all of your re-gripping and re-shafting needs.